Monday, August 20, 2012

Back from the RWAus 2012 Conference and am feeling fantastic about being a romance author. You know when you've got that really nice tired-but-so-satisfied feeling? That's where I'm at.
The parties were once again a highlight in celebrations for this year. I dressed up for the 1950's inspired cocktail party and enjoyed swanning around on red patent leather stilettos and swishing my full round skirt poofed out by a stiff petticoat. Glass of champagne in hand and girling it up, I had a great time catching up with writer friends I only see once a year along with the Melbourne Romance Writers Guild contingent that I belong to. We celebrated some MRWG wins at the awards dinner on Saturday night. Cara Gabriel won 2nd place in the Selling Synopsis competition, Angela Castle won a best speculative cover award and Cornelia Kamp was a runner up in the Valerie Parv. 
I always look forward to the workshops. This year several stood out for me. Alexandra Sokoloff's Screenwriting Tricks for Authors really helped me to understand why elements of my manuscript work and why other elements, lets say, not so much. I had so many ideas popping into my head that I was taking notes on two fronts, what Alexandra was saying and what the character's inside my head were saying. This also happened in The Chemistry of Writing workshop run by Nikki Logan. An information dense and illuminating insight into how chemicals released effect the lizard brain to bring you back to experience something again and again. So You Think You Can Write run by Joanne Grant and Birgit Davis-Todd. Explained all about the SYTYCW online competition and how it can benefit writers just being a part of the process. I'm inspired to register because there's a month long online schedule to participate in to help develop your ms before entering. 
Whew, so you can see that was a few jam packed days of enriching content. Thanks Romance Writers Australia for a brilliant event.

No comments:

Post a Comment